Sometimes it can be pretty hard to get your product featured in fourth quarter Holiday Gift Guides.
What can make the process easier?
Starting with a great product.
What Makes a Great Product?
Most people underestimate the importance of a great product. That’s because if you make or sell a product, you always think it’s great. But what makes it great to the media is probably very different. Here is what makes a product newsworthy:
- A truly new product (just launched in the last few months or about to be launched)
- Unique, breakthrough product
- Works well, tastes great, etc. (In most cases the media will test out your product if they are interested in featuring it in a story)
- Colorful packaging / visually appealing – especially important for visual media
- Product ties into trends – organic/green, political, etc.
- Priced right – less than key price points ($100, $50, $25, $10) or priced high if truly a luxury item
If your product can’t be described this way, consider making changes before trying to get publicity.
Learn more about pitching to Holiday Gift Guides, and get a free list of Editorial Calendars (my Secret Weapon), here.